REAL WORLD LIMITATIONS

 

Our minimum viable product for the game slime herder was the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite tablets that we have available for testing here at SAE. These have very limited resources available, like a low CPU clock speed, only dual cores and only 1GB of ram. This means that we cannot have any high-cost parts to our game. One large concern was the jelly-physics that we added to the slimes themselves that would affect each vert in the mesh of the object, and have them slightly slosh around, giving them the feel of a slightly fluid character. This could have caused an issue with the large amount of mesh transforming that this involved in every frame, and would heavily affect the framerate on a lower-end device.  To avoid this being an issue, we found someone’s solution for the jelly physics that had a relatively low cost to run, and stress tested it in the build environment and testing device as early as possible.

TECH SPECS for our test device

Processor

  • CPU Speed
    1.2 GHz
  • CPU Type
    Dual Core

Display

  • Size (Main Display)
    7.0″ (178.0 mm)
  • Resolution (Main Display)
    WSVGA (1024×600, 169PPI)
  • Technology (Main Display)
    TFT
  • Color Depth (Main Display)
    16M
  • S Pen Support
    No

Memory

  • RAM Size (GB)
    RAM 1GB, Storage 8GB*
  • ROM Size (GB)
    8 GB
  • External Memory Support
    MicroSD (Up to 32 GB)

OS

  • OS
    Android 4.2/4.4

Sensors

  • Sensors
    Accelerometer

Audio

  • Audio Playing Format
    MP3,M4A,3GA,AAC,OGG,OGA,WAV,WMA,AMR,AWB,FLAC,MID,MIDI,XMF,MXMF,IMY,RTTTL,RTX,OTA

    Our game needed to go through multiple hurdles to play correctly on the test devices alongside as many other devices as possible. The main things we did was reduce the play area size so visibility was not an issue due to small screens. We also had to hard code the aspect ratios, anchoring and camera positions to deal with screen ratios of 16:9 and 16:10, as not all phones and tablets are the same.
    We also needed to deal with the minimal resources and the large amount of functions running and limit the amount of checks that we are doing per frame. This meant putting a soft cap on the amount of slimes active at any point in time, and building messages to send off and trigger, rather than check to see if something is true every frame, where possible. Due to there being little to no 3D elements or light particles, we are able to save heavily on rendering cycles, something that is usually dealt with using integrated graphics in mobile devices, leaving more resources for simple sprite animations and particle effects.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s